[Skip to content]

Search our Site
  • Instagram Icon
  • RSS Icon
  • Twitter Icon
  • Facebook Icon
  • YouTube Icon
  • London 2017
  • Run Britain
  • Run Britain Rankings
  • Power of IO
  • UKA Coach
UK Athletics


A self-declaration and disclosure form is for people under 16s, who are qualified coaches/officials, but can’t be DBS checked, because of their age.


They are also for people that help at clubs, but aren’t qualified to coach/officiate e.g. parent helpers, who help run a snack bar.


These forms are like DBSs but don’t require criminal record checks. You can access the forms via http://www.britishathletics.org.uk/governance/welfare-and-safeguarding/self-disclosure-process/.

A DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) is a government department, which perform criminal record checks on a person for certain jobs, either paid or volunteering.

If you hold a qualification with UKA, to be able to use this qualification you need to hold a UKA licence card. In order to get a licence from UKA to coach, lead or officiate you are required to apply for a DBS certificate every three years. Your licence will expire and then be renewed when your DBS is. 

Some clubs have support staff like yoga teachers, physiotherapists, strength and conditioning coaches etc. These kinds of staff will also require DBS certificates in order to operate.

Welfare officers are also required to have a DBS, due to the information/situations they may find they encounter. 

You can apply for a UKA Disclosure and Barring Service check online. The application process can be accessed via your personal myATHLETICS portal. Log into your portal via 

The time it takes to process a DBS check depends on:

  • the level of check
  • if the details given for the check are correct
  • what police force(s) need to be involved in the check.


Currently the DBS are saying each check will take around eight weeks to complete.

You can appeal to the DBS if you believe there has been a mistake with your certificate. If the records provided, e.g. wrong or irrelevant information on convictions or personal information, e.g. your name is spelt wrong; you have the right to appeal. 

You can issue an appeal within three months of the DBS certificate being issued. 

You can appeal against a mistake in records by completing a certificate dispute form https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-certificate-disputes-and-fingerprint-consent-forms-and-guidance-af14-af15.

You can appeal for a mistake in personal information by completing Section A of the certificate dispute form https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-certificate-disputes-and-fingerprint-consent-forms-and-guidance-af14-af15 or phoning the DBS (0300 020 0190). 

The form can be posted to DBS


Customer Services


PO Box 165


L69 3JD

Having a criminal record doesn’t mean you cannot work/volunteer in athletics. Every person’s case is different. If you have a criminal record, it will show on your DBS certificate and you will be required to send your certificate to UKA to view. A decision will be made on the information on the certificate. If you have any questions regarding a criminal record please email dbrown@uka.org.uk. 

You will be contacted by UKA and asked to post your original certificate to us. This is so a decision can be made on whether a coaching/officiating licence can be produced and is based on the criminal convection stated on the certificate. If you would like, you can enclose a letter of submission, when you post the certificate.

DBS certificates last three years.

If you aren’t a qualified coach, leader, official, a welfare officer or support stuff (physios/masseuses/strength and condition coaches etc.) then you do not need to apply for a DBS.

You can renew your UKA Disclosure and Barring Service check online. The application process can be accessed via your personal myATHLETICS portal. Log into your portal via www.englandathletics.org/myprofile.

If your current DBS certificate is registered with the DBSs Update Service, then we can use this certificate for UKA. All you need to do is email a copy of the certificate to dbs@uka.org.uk.

If it isn’t registered with the Update Service, then you will need to apply for a new DBS certificate via UKA.


For volunteers DBS application are free. For people who will be/are being paid, DBS applications are £44.

If you are a member of a club, then there should be at least one member who is a DBS verifier. If there isn’t a DBS verifier at your club, or you aren’t a member of a club then you can ask one of the following to verifier your application, as long as the person knows you, but you aren’t related.

  • Medical Professionals
  • Emergency Service Personnel
  • Military Personnel
  • Teachers/Lecturers
  • Legal Professionals
  • Civil Servants
  • Line Manager


There are different ‘routes’ you can follow with regards to validating your application. This will depend on what documents you have and whether you are a UK national or not. 
Route One - If you have been a resident in the UK for more than five years, you will need to produce one document from group 1 and then two further documents from group 1, 2a or 2b. If you have not been a resident in the UK for five years or more, you can only follow route one.
If you cannot produce a group 1 document, then go to route two.
Route Two – You must produce one document from group 2a and two further documents from 2a or 2b; one of which must verify your current address.
Route Three – a UK and Channel Islands Birth Certificate, which was issued after the time of birth by the General Register Office/Relevant Authority and one document from group 2a and three further documents from group 2a or 2b; one of which must verify their current address.
If you fail to produce the required document set at route three, then you will need to be sent for fingerprinting by the Police, which you should be aware is likely to cause delay to the DBS application process.

Group 1 - Primary Identity Documents

  • Passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit
  • Current Driving Licence – photo card with counterpart, where one is issued
  • Birth Certificate – issued at time of birth
  • Adoption Certificate

Group 2a - Trusted Government Documents

  • Current Driving Licence – photo card, where a counterpart has been issued but no counterpart is presented
  • Current Driving Licence – paper version
  • Birth Certificate – issued after time of birth
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate
  • HM Forces ID Card
  • Firearms Licence

Group 2b - Financial and Social History Documents

  • Mortgage Statement 
  • Bank/Building Society Statement
  • Bank/Building Society account opening confirmation letter
  • Credit Card Statement
  • Financial Statement (e.g. pension or endowment)
  • P45/P60 Statement
  • Council Tax Statement
  • Work Permit or Visa
  • Letter of Sponsorship from Future Employer
  • Utility Bill
  • Benefit Statement (e.g. child benefit or pension)
  • Central or Local Government, Government Agency, or Local Council document giving entitlement, e.g. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service, HMRC
  • EU National ID Card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo
  • Letter from head teacher or college principal (for 16-19 years old, in full time education only)


Please contact England Athletics with regards to licence queries. Their email is enquires@englandathletics.org or phone number 0121 347 6543.

This may be due to your profile not being updated with your new certificate details. Please email a copy of your certificate to dbs@uka.org.uk or post a copy or original (it will be posted back) to:                                              

Athletics Welfare

PO Box 332



M33 6XL

Please email dbs@uka.org.uk or phone 0121 713 8450. Having no profile may mean a DBS isn’t required.

If there is no link available for you to apply for a DBS, please email dbs@uka.org.uk or phone 0121 713 8450, and the link can be activated.

For parkrun DBS applications, please email dbs@uka.org.uk with your full name, address, email address and date of birth. You will then be sent a username and password, which will allow you to apply for a DBS.

UKA still issue DBS paper application forms, on request. Please phone 0121 713 8450 or someone can email the request on your behalf to dbs@uka.org.uk. 

You can track your DBS application via https://secure.crbonline.gov.uk/enquiry/enquirySearch.do. You will need a reference number for your application and your date of birth. You can receive your reference number for your application by emailing dbs@uka.org.uk or phoning 0121 713 8450.

You can ask for a reprint of your certificate. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-certificate-reprint-guide/dbs-certificate-reprint-guide. 

Police (www.police.uk/forces)

Emergency: 999

Non-Emergency: 101

Clubs should have the number for their local Police child protection officer.

Local Authority Children Services (www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council). 

Clubs should have the number for their area’s duty officer.

In an emergency the Samaritans will be able to provide this number.

Get Safe Online (https://www.getsafeonline.org/safeguarding-children/)

Advice on internet safety

Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) (www.iwf.org.uk)

The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) is the only authorised organisation in the UK which, amongst other things, provides an internet 'hotline' for the public to report their exposure to potentially illegal child abuse images.

NSPCC Helpline (www.nspcc.org)

0808 800 5000

24 hour free and confidential telephone Helpline that provides counselling, information and advice to anyone concerned about a child at risk of ill treatment or abuse.

NSPCC – Child Protection in Sport Unit (www.thecpsu.org.uk)

0116 234 7278

The Unit was founded in 2001 to work with UK Sports Councils, National Governing Bodies (NGBs), County Sports Partnerships (CSPs) and other organisations to help them minimise the risk of child abuse during sporting activities. 

Safe Network (http://www.safenetwork.org.uk/training_and_awareness/Pages/sports_organisations.aspx)

Advice for clubs to help run safe sporting activities for children and advice for parent/carers who want to keep their child(ren) safe, while taking part in sport.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/disclosure-and-barring-service)

0300 0200 190


0208 541 1177

Confidential crisis telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults.

The Samaritans  (www.samaritans.org.uk)

08457 90 90 90

Nationwide, non-religious, non-political 24 hour confidential support.

Victim Support (www.victimsupport.org.uk)

0845 3030 900

Local Victim Support services provide emotional support, information and practical help for victims and witnesses.

Self Help (www.self-help.org.uk)

The UK's free online specialised child protection resources.

A general list of 1,000 self-help organisations in the UK.

Children 1st (Scotland Only) (www.children1st.org.uk)

0131 4462300

Help Scotland’s families to put children first, with practical advice and with support in difficult times. They also support survivors of abuse, neglect, and other traumatic events in childhood, to recover.

beat https://www.b-eat.co.uk

0345 634 1414

UK’s Leading charity supporting anyone affected by eating disorders.

MIND http://www.mind.org.uk/ 

0300 123 3393

Provide advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem